Thursday, September 16, 2010

"For I was hungry and you gave me food..."

omneshonesetgloriaeest.blogspot.com

On the way home from campus this afternoon, I stopped at the bank to drain more money out of my bank account. As I approached the building, I passed by a young lady standing up against the wall. She wore a lot of makeup, wearing a gray t-shirt that was a little too large for her thin frame. Her long brown hair descended to her shoulders in a rather unkempt manner, adding to her "rough" appearance.


As I passed by her on the sidewalk, she spoke up.

"Can you help me out with a few dollars?"

I stopped and looked at her.

"I need to get a hotel room for the night."

Rather reflexively, I lied, "Hey, I'm a college student, if I had the money, I'd give it to you; sadly, I don't."

She pressed me no further, and I walked away.

I have plenty of money in my bank account.


Later on the drive home, I began to ponder my decision. Why did I choose not to help? Her rough appearance had led me to believe that she must be abusing substances, and I certainly wouldn't want to contribute anything toward a destructive habit.

But Matthew 25:35 kept running through me head:

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me..."


I hoped she didn't notice the two crosses that hung from my neck. I hoped she didn't think:

Another Christian refusing to help me.


I judged upon her upon her appearance. But it's not my responsibility to judge. It's my responsibility to love and to be charitable...To welcome a stranger.

But I didn't and I wasn't.

I failed at being a Christian.


If I were fully confident she wasn't going to use the money on a destructive habit, I would have given willingly...But that's a moot point.

I judged instead of loved.

And that is unbecoming of the crosses around my neck.

1 comment:

  1. Romans 5:8
    "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

    Mark 2:17
    "it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. i have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

    grace = getting what we don't deserve

    pat...
    we all fail everyday...that's why we need a Savior. Jesus does not love you any less for not giving her money...run to Him and let His grace wash over you, and then love that woman (or others like her) because you know that you are first loved!! not because you have to, or fear that God will be disappointed if you don't (He won't be....its impossible for Him to be disappointed in you...Romans 8:1), but love because its an overflow of how much you are loved.

    1 John 4:19
    "we love because He first loved us."

    XOXO
    your big sis

    ReplyDelete